Galway Hockey Club believes that parents should:
- Be a role model for your child and maintain the highest standards of conduct when interacting with young people, other parents, officials and organisers
- Always behave responsibly and do not seek to unfairly affect the outcome of a game, a player or the opponent
- Never intentionally expose any young participant to embarrassment or disparagement by the use of flippant or sarcastic remarks
- Always recognise the value and importance of the officials and volunteers who provide sporting and recreational opportunities for your child. Do not publicly question their judgment or honesty. Respect Children’s Officers, Designated Persons, coaches, umpires, organisers, managers and other players.
- Encourage your child to play by the rules. Teach your child that honest endeavour is as important as winning and do all you can to encourage good sportsmanship.
- Set a good example by applauding good play on both sides. Encourage mutual respect for teammates and opponents.
- Take an interest in your child’s sport and support the child’s participation in their chosen activity.
- Parents should support all efforts to remove abusive behaviour and bullying behaviour in all its forms. (see bullying policy within these guidelines).
Parents of children joining Galway Hockey Club are asked to download and sign the code of conduct.